A delightful recipe with the perfect combination of flavors: the richness of duck, the lovely bite of blue cheese, and the sweetness of tomatoes.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Total Time: 60 minutes
2 – 8 oz. Duck breast filets
18 cups Baby spinach, local if possible
2 each Heirloom tomato, quartered
1 each Vidalia onion, julienned
¾ cup Bleu cheese, crumbled or diced, local if possible
1 each Cucumber, diced
12 T. Basil Vinaigrette or Vinaigrette of Choice (2 T. per person)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat a large saute pan to high. Make sure the heat is set to high.
3. Place the duck, skin side down, on the heated saute pan and sear for 4-6 minutes until the skin as browned and the fat has rendered off. Your kitchen may smell funky, but don’t worry about it – it is worth it.
4. Remove the duck from the pan and place on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes or until duck reaches a medium temperature. Serving duck medium is ideal.
5. While the duck is baking, assemble salads with evenly distributed vegetables, bleu cheese and vinaigrette if needed.
6. Allow the duck to cool for at least 10-15 minutes prior to slicing.
7. Enjoy every bite!
Serving Size: 1 composed salad
Nutrition Information: gluten-free, nut free
Carbohydrates: 14 gms
Protein: 25 gms
Fat: 16 gms
Fiber: 6 gms
Sodium: 460 mg